Last Friday we had kindergarten orientation. Last year, we thought it would be fun to take pictures with the school mascot and share them with the families. The only problem is that we didn't have a way to get the pictures printed and distributed to the families, so we took a bunch of pictures and they sat on the person's camera and nothing was done. A great gesture, but not helpful in the end.
This year, I was tasked with making sure the families got a picture of their student with our mascot. The picture would be on the bottom half of an 8.5x11" piece of paper. On the top of the paper it said, "Future Cougar, Class of 2027" and that was already printed out. So, I needed to get the picture on those papers.
The original idea was to print 2 pictures on 8.5x11" paper and then cut them out and tape or paste them on that piece of paper. I knew that we wouldn't have enough time to cut all those pictures out.
Here is what I wanted to do:
- Since the papers were already printed, and just needed the picture, I could print right onto the paper that said "Future Cougar".
- I created a Word document that had a top margin set to about 6" (which is about how much space the words took up).
- I would insert all (expected) 70 Kindergartner pictures in the Word document.
- I would then print them.
Here's the thing, Edit -> Insert Picture -> From File and then navigating to that folder would be really annoying to do 70 times!
Another wrench that quickly messed things up is that printing pictures from a camera that takes high resolution pictures takes a long time on our computer, especially if it makes the Word document really big. So, I would also need to reduce the size of the pictures to something much smaller, so they wouldn't create a bottleneck at the printing process.
The Automated Solution
Automator is an app that comes with every Apple computer, and it automates things you would do on your computer. It is pretty awesome.
I already created the Word document. I already had a folder that I would put all the pictures in. I just needed to get them reduced in size and inserted into the Word document.
Automator takes care of that for me.