This is my second interview with Will Parker. Will wrote a book called Principal Matters: the motivation, courage, action, and teamwork needed for school leadership, and so we talk about his wisdom that is contained therein. Go ahead and buy it.
I interviewed Will in Episode 24 of Transformative Principal.
- A little discussion about technology.
- Some information on his book.
- How to make decisions.
- Write things down when they are still fresh so you know how to do it next time.
- Write processes down now so that you have them next time.
- Make a list and prioritize.
- How to delegate effectively.
- Importance of taking time off to recharge.
- The power of good mentors.
- Writing a letter of resignation.
- How to live without putting out fires all the time!
- Give instruction on the front end to make expectations more effective.
- Great teachers teach with both sides of their brains at once.
- More about KRAs (which we spoke about in Episode 24).
- Dealing with difficult people.
- Make sure you are not the difficult person.
- Seek to understand before being understood.
- Be firm but friendly.
- Change your posture or use humor when appropriate.
- Agree to disagree.
- Consider bringing all parties to the table.
- What can I do to help you?
- Sometimes it is inevitable to have difficult conversations.
- Communicate privately with staff members when there is a difficulty.
- Big fan of just being honest.
- Talk straight with each other.
- Relationships are so important for every teacher and staff member.
- "It's not an issue of me and you, it's an issue of you and you."
- Buy his book!
Ready for a Modern Web Site for your school? Simple School Sites is the place to go for high quality Wordpress sites specially designed for schools.
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.