Sharyle Karren has been a principal for the last 22 years! She has a lot of experience and this interview is a really great opportunity to learn from a great principal about how much she has helped students over the years.
In this interview, we talk about the following:
- Her history as a principal and some of the trials she went through.
- The common theme through her experiences is that she had a positive attitude and knew that the people she worked with were amazing individuals.
- How she opened a new school, her current school.
- Establishing positive community relationships.
- How she went to each local organization and “dug her roots into the community”.
- How she established walking field trips to further establish a positive community relationship.
- How she manages intern principals. She has a great balance of allowing interns to make decisions, but making sure that they know that they need to talk to her. She gives them an opportunity to learn, but allows them the authority to make decisions
- What things she keeps for herself and refuses to delegate to her AP or interns.
- Challenges associated with training interns and Assistants.
- How she establishes relationships with schools that are close by.
- Community helping out those who need it.
- What the best parts are of having a new intern every year.
- She answers the question of how to be a transformative principal. Look at the big picture.
- She answers the question of what is in her office that inspires her. Then we talk about all the great ways she has involved her community in her travels, and how she gets them to see the big picture of helping others.
- Because she is so involved in her community, she knows what skills and
- Partnership with Apa Sherpa Foundation and Healthy Draper. Article about Apa Sherpa’s retirement.
- Going to Peru and involving the whole school.
- Going to Africa and involving the community and school.
- How she convinces parents and her community to get on board with her ideas.
- How she connected Meet the Masters art program with music and dance.