Sam LeDeaux is a principal at a K-5 school in metropolitan Chicago. His forté is working well with his parents and staff.
- 62 staff members and 869 parents working together to make things happen!
- Learning that people "somewhere" doing things were actually people who were doing these things right around him.
- Twitter and Social networking have been incredibly transformative and empowering. #mannschool
- Transparency is what makes him effective.
- Parents suggest and respond to ways to make his school better through social media.
- We can grow in ways that we never before thought was possible.
- Continuous sharing and positive collaboration makes technology transformative.
- You don't need to have common planning periods to have time to collaborate.
- How to balance the difficult issues with being transparent.
- It is not about personal performance, it is about service to kids.
- When it is seen as a personal attack, you shut down when you are evaluated. When you see it as improving service to kids, you don't get upset.
- Peer observations - invite and show the value.
- We do not let schedules get in our way of improving and service to students.
- What is the purpose of peer observations?
Evaluations should be about growth.
Here is his blog
- How to balance the need for caring about the teacher with meeting the demands of the state and evaluation system. Evaluation in two simple steps
- Perspective of evaluation "your performance" vs. "service to kids".
- I want teachers to invite me in for lessons that could go any way and possibly be really different.
- Leaders, strive to be the weak link
- How Twitter has changed his practice. Parents want to observe the classroom to ensure they like what is happening only when you are not transparent.
- Dedicating entire days to being in classrooms, while still managing requirements of his job. The more I am out and about, the less things there will be that pin me in my office. Goal: 8 full days in the class per month.
- Sharing what he learns and fails at with the staff.
- Inspiring Twitterers: @gcouros @justintarte @8amber8, chats, and anyone who is willing to share something is really inspiring.
- How to be a transformative principal: be patiently perseverant.
- What inspires him: his son, is he meeting his son's expectations for school, because all his students are his sons and daughters!