Marzano Observation Framework
Over the last couple months, Jethro and his assistant principal have conducted over 300 observations (ranging from 3 minutes to 45 minutes).
- Going from 60 indicators to however many we need.
- Being able to not feel stressed about looking for every single thing.
- Being able to start where I am and dropping into the framework.
- Marzano Framework provides for discussing good teaching with teachers first and foremost.
- Looking at domains 2, 3, and 4 balances out teacher observations.
- Allowing teachers to evaluate themselves and reflect themselves.
- Finding areas where teachers are being effective in areas of professionalism.
- Allow teachers to show their own evidence.
- How to creatively deal with lesson plans and tie them to teachers' observations.
- How to "give teachers credit" for the things that won't be on their observation.
- It is our responsibility as principals to find the things that teachers are doing right.
- Teachers can and should submit their information for their evaluation.
- Desired Effect: What is it we want as a result of using a particular strategy.
- Really neat story about teachers evaluating their principal.
- Using the Scale: 1 - beginning, 2 - developing, 3 - applying, 4 - innovating. 3 is proficient and where teachers should be.